Listen Live

HomeNewsNorthlands gives legacy award to Lakeland College

Northlands gives legacy award to Lakeland College

Northlands may have closed up shop, but its name will live on at Lakeland College with a gift of $145,000 for the Northlands Legacy Agriculture Award.

The award will be given to four students annually for 10 years in support of leadership in agriculture. Recipients will be agriculture sciences students who are recognized for their leadership outside of the classroom.

“We are pleased to provide these funds to support agriculture education at Lakeland College,” says Jerry Bouma, transition board chair for Northlands. “Indeed, it is with great pride that the Northlands’ legacy of service will now be carried by Lakeland College and its long-standing commitment to agriculture.

The not-for-profit which was closed in 2021 has agriculture roots dating back to 1879.

- Advertisement -

“We are so appreciative of this gift from Northlands,” says Dr. Alice Wainwright-Stewart, president and CEO of Lakeland College. “For decades, Northlands has been a driving force in agriculture in Alberta, and as they end operations, it seems only fitting that they choose to support that on-going legacy of leadership in ag through this award. It is such a meaningful way to honour the legacy of the Northlands organization and our future leaders in agriculture. It will make a huge difference for the students who receive it.”

The announcement was made on Thursday afternoon prior to the annual Feast on the Farm on the Vermilion Campus.

- Advertisment -
- Advertisment -
- Advertisement -

Continue Reading