The Alberta Law Enforcement Response Team (ALERT) and RCMP have arrested five people they accuse of committing a string of ATM Thefts in the St. Paul and Saddle Lake Area as well as illegal gun trafficking and other crimes.
Tyrone Hunter, 23, Byron Hunter, 42, Rodney Hunter, 37, Francis Cardinal, 22, and Abigail Hunter, 45, face a total of 38 charges related to weapons, theft, as well as break and enter. ALERT says they suspect them of being involved in the following incidents dating as far back as 2014:
- Armed Robbery at Northside Store in Saddle Lake – June 25, 2014
- Perjury at the St. Paul Provincial Court – August 10, 2016
- Break and enter to steal firearm at Warehouse Sports in St. Paul – Feb 17, 2014
- Break and enter at Guardian Pharmacy in Mundare – April 14, 2015
- Break and enter at Northside Store in Saddle Lake – June 25, 2014
- Break and enter, Theft of ATM, at Cardinal Cash n’ Carry in Goodfish – January 12, 2016 (Our story on the incident)
- Break and enter, Theft of ATM at Servus Credit Union in Lamont – March 14, 2016
- Break and enter, Theft of ATM at Servus Credit Union in Mundare – May 19, 2016
- Break and enter, Theft of ATM at Northside Store in Saddle Lake – May 20, 2016
Two Saddle Lake homes were searched on August 9th and September 19th 12 firearms, body armour, and hundreds of rounds of ammunition were seized.
Byron and Tyrone Hunter were both arrested on August 19th, while Abigail and Francis Cardinal were arrested on August 31st. Rodney Hunter took a bit longer to track down and was arrested in West Kelowna, BC on September 28th. Byron Hunter is expected to appear in court on October 28th, while the rest will appear on November 1st.