Listen Live

HomeNewsCold Lake Outreach Teacher Receives Award for Innovation

Cold Lake Outreach Teacher Receives Award for Innovation

Cold Lake Outreach School teacher Lara Ripkens has received some provincial recognition, receiving the Outreach Education Council’s Award for Innovation and Achievement.

Ripkens was recognized at the  Outreach Education Council  Conference on October 1st, for her unique Minecraft 4  Education program.

“Northern Lights is focused on finding new ways to engage students in the classroom  and make learning exciting for them,” said Board Chair Mandi Skogen.  “Congratulations to Lara on developing a program that motivates students to come to  school and learn through doing something they enjoy.”

The Minecraft 4 Education program just entered its fourth year at Cold Lake Outreach  School. Ripkens initiated the program, ”to ‘hook’ (students) into doing their core work  by offering a class in Minecraft in the afternoons which they could participate in if the  core work was complete. In addition, the design skills they worked on in Minecraft  allowed them to earn relevant design credits.” Her students say they enjoy the Minecraft 4 Education program because it allows them  to learn without stress, gives them a chance to express creativity with their friends, and  affords them the opportunity to work as part of a team.

- Advertisement -
- Advertisment -
- Advertisment -
- Advertisement -

Continue Reading