Listen Live

HomeNewsCigarette Butt Causes Lac La Biche Apartment Fire.

Cigarette Butt Causes Lac La Biche Apartment Fire.

Nobody was hurt in a fire that severely damaged an apartment building in Lac La Biche in the early hours of Saturday morning.

The fire was first noticed by two off duty firefighters who responded quickly, running into the building to pull the fire alarm and warning residents to get out. They were able to alert the rest of the fire department and bring fire trucks onto the scene. By the time the full crew arrived flames could be seen shooting from the building’s roof. The blaze was eventually contained by about 8 o clock in the morning.

An investigation afterwards points to a carelessly discarded cigarette butt being the origin of the blaze. It is believed it was discarded into a flower-pot on a balcony containing peat moss. The pot was next to a wooden wall.

The Red Cross has been able to house the displaced 91 residents for 72 hours after the fire and Alberta Works is offering an extension to those that need it. The fire is still being investigated and residents will be able to collect their belongings after it is wrapped up.

- Advertisement -
- Advertisment -
- Advertisment -
- Advertisement -

Continue Reading