Listen Live

HomeNewsProvincial grant clears way for new Portage College steamfitter-pipefitter program

Provincial grant clears way for new Portage College steamfitter-pipefitter program

$2.1 million from the provincial government will help shape the implementation of the Steamfitter-pipefitter program at Portage College. 

This financial boost, according to the Alberta Government, will result in an expansion of available seats for the Paramedicine program, classroom enhancements, and the exciting reintroduction of the Steamfitter-Pipefitter program, set to commence during the 2024-25 academic year. 

Minister of Advance Education Rajan Sawney, who toured the Portage College campus recently, says investing in local communities encourages students to stay close to home to develop the skills, knowledge, and competencies they need for the most in-demand jobs. 

“It also benefits the local economy, as students graduate and use their talents to continue building strong and prosperous communities.” 

- Advertisement -

$900,000 is allocated for classroom renovations at various Portage College locations throughout the Lakeland region. Aimed at improving the overall educational experience for students. 

Furthermore, an additional $875,000 is earmarked to increase the capacity of the paramedicine program. Creating 96 extra seats, while $319,846 is designated to reinforce support for apprenticeship programs. 

According to a statement released by Alberta Advanced Education, the Steamfitter-pipefitter program has gained immense popularity. The program is one of the fastest-growing apprenticeship programs in northeastern Alberta. 

“Together, we will meet the demand for much-needed paramedics and trades professionals in our region,” said Nancy Broadbent, president and CEO of Portage College in a news release.  

“Modernizing our classrooms will help ensure our students have an excellent learning experience at Portage College. We’re thankful for the Government of Alberta, Minister Sawhney, and Advanced Education for their support.” 

- Advertisment -
- Advertisment -
- Advertisement -

Continue Reading