Cold Lake Fire-Rescue is partnering with National Fire Protection Association to help teach the Cold Lake community about fire safety during Fire Prevention Week.
The week lasts from October 9th to the 15th.
Fire Prevention Week is an international fire safety initiative that is celebrating 100 years of bringing awareness and fire safety to communities everywhere.
The message for 2022 is “Fire won’t wait. Plan your escape.” and Sparky the dog has the following tips to plan your escape:
- Draw a map of your home, showing all doors and windows
- Visit each room and find two ways out (if possible), making sure each family member can see where to go to get out
- Make sure all windows and doors open easily from the INSIDE
- Make sure your home has smoke alarms and test them to make sure they are working properly
- Pick a meeting place outside near the front of your home for everyone to meet up
- Once outside and everyone is accounted for, call a neighbour or extended family and let them know you are safe
- Make sure your house or building number can be seen from the street
- Make sure everyone in your home knows how to dial 911
- Talk about your plan with everyone in the family and practice your fire drill at least twice a year