Alberta mounties are hoping a new routine will help cut down on property crime. The RCMP have been pushing the new #9PMRoutine movement on their social media. The checklist is described by police as a way to help keep personal belongings safe at night.
Mounties say some steps in the routine include:
· Turn on outside lights at night
· Lock your doors
· Put away toys and bikes in a locked, safe location
· Put away tools when you’re finished with them
· Put away outdoor equipment such as lawn mowers and weed trimmers
· Lock up off-highway vehicles (ATVs, dirt bikes, etc.)
· Double check vehicles are locked and keys are removed
The RCMP says last summer there were close to 36,000 property-related incidents reported. They also say almost 50 percent of all reported bicycle thefts occurred in the summer months.