It might be a record for how quick the alarm has been raised in the season but a Lakeland lake is already facing blue-green algae trouble, says Alberta Health Services. AHS put out the alarm Thursday that Minnie Lake is now under an advisory after a bloom of the bacteria was found under its ice during the melt. Toxins from the bloom are said to be in the water below the ice as well.
AHS is reminding residents to avoid contact with water that contains the algae blooms. People who come in contact with visible blue-green algae or who ingest water containing the algae may experience skin irritation, rash, sore throat, sore red eyes, swollen lips, fever, nausea and vomiting and diarrhea.
As always, never drink or cook with untreated water directly from any recreational body of water, including Minnie Lake, at any time.