Each month the RCMP is given focus from The Traffic Safety Plan Calendar for April that was speeding.The RCMP wrapped up April’s focus on speeding with 39 speed related violation tickets issued out of 81 total tickets issued during the month of April. St. Paul Traffic Services issued 27 violation tickets for speed while working in the Bonnyville RCMP Detachment area.
For May, the Traffic Safety Plan Calendar looks at targeting young drivers as well as cracking down on distracted driving. The fine for Distracted Driving has increased from $172 to $250.
Distracted Driving includes:
- sing hand-held cell phones
- texting or e-mailing
- using electronic devices like laptop computers, video games, cameras, video entertainment displays and programming portable audio players (e.g., MP3 players)
- entering information on GPS units
- reading printed materials in the vehicle
- writing, printing or sketching, and
- personal grooming
The Bonnyville RCMP Detachment will continue to enforce all traffic safety laws but will be educating drivers on the focused violations through issuing specified penalties.