The MD of Bonnyville is urging residents to take hazardous waste to landfills instead of garbage bins after a garbage truck caught fire.
The truck had picked up a load containing ashes or coals from a recent fire. The MD reminds everyone that the bins are for typical household garbage bags and can’t contain toxic, poisonous or hot items or anything that could cause a chemical reaction when it mixes with the rest of the garbage. Propane bottles that can explode in the compactor are a constant problem garbage collectors deal with.
Landfills are free to use year-round and put MD staff in much less danger.